The Ellwood City Area School District Board of Directors has hired Scott Dibble to serve as the head coach for boys’ basketball.
In 2019, Dibble resigned after serving two seasons as Bishop Canevin’s women’s basketball head coach and two years earlier as an assistant. The Crusaders have won WPIAL titles three of the four years and were state runners-up in 2017 and 2018.
She also coached the women’s teams for three seasons at New Castle and a dozen at Erie’s Villa Maria, where her teams reached the finals six times.
Additionally, High School Principal John Sovich and School Police Officer Brian Speer presented the safety and security plan to the board. It included a list of upcoming trainings for officers and school staff, as well as previously completed officer training.
- Minutes: Committee Meeting, May 5, 2022, Regular Meeting, May 12, 2022
- General Fund accounts Payable checks and wire transfers for $1,118,900.24
- The secretary of the board/business manager is authorized to invest school district funds as permitted by Section 440.1 of the Pennsylvania School Code, as they become available during fiscal year 2022-23 with: Pennsylvania (PLGIT), Pennsylvania Local School District Liquid Asset Fund (PSDLAF), Pennsylvania Invest, PNC Bank, and WesBanco Bank.
- The business manager is authorized by Section 609 of the Pennsylvania School Code to make any necessary budget transfers in preparation for the closing of the 2021-22 records.
- General Fund Budget for fiscal year 2022-23 in the amount of $32,540,197
- Establish tax rates for fiscal year 2022-2023 to include a per capita tax of $10.00, property tax at 17.54 million, Earned Income Tax at one-half of one percent, Real Estate Transfer Tax at one-half of one percent and the Occupational Privilege Tax/local service tax at $5.00
- Homestead/Farmstead 2022-23 calculation and resolution implementing the Homestead/Farmstead exclusion at $15,001 or $263.12 for fiscal year 2022-23.
- Health insurance rates from the Allegheny County School Health Insurance Consortium (ACSHIC) for the 2022-2023 school year reflecting an increase of 8.0%.
- The District’s contract with Mr. Brad Windhorst to build the District’s website and provide training to ECASD employees. The amount to be paid to Mr. Windhorst is not to exceed $5,000 for the initial setup of the website. The district understands that there will be a cost of approximately $300 per year for the web hosting service. Mr. Windhorst will provide support thereafter at a cost of $35 per hour as requested by the Superintendent or his designee.
- The contract with EC Transit will be extended for another year to include the 2022-2023 school year, with an additional one-time amount of $25,000 shared due to savings from eliminating two bus runs.
- A proposal from Cernica Engineering for the exploration of the Perry Lower Intermediate Underground is approved at a total cost of drilling, sampling and engineering services of $10,994.92
- Fall Coach Hire
- Appointment of department heads
- Establishment of K-2 Autism/Life Skills Support Teacher
- Hiring a K-2 Emotional Support Teacher
- Summer Cafe Workers
- K-6 Summer Learning Program Staff
- An FMLA request
- Sponsors of the activity 2022-23
- Department of Technology Summer Help
- Establishment of a Public Safety Club
- Equipment Disposal: Old, obsolete, and unusable technology equipment must be disposed of in accordance with Board Policy 706.1.
- Facility Requests:
- City of Ellwood Community Enrichment for use by Sgt. Leslie H. Sabo, Jr. Memorial Auditorium for their Summer Concert Series inclement weather only on the following Saturdays: June 18, June 25, July 16, July 23, July 30 and August 13 from 2022 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- EC Varsity Wrestling Team will use the cafeteria on Saturday, July 23, 2022 for a Wrestling Camp from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Agreement with Interim Healthcare to provide personal nursing services on morning and afternoon bus runs at a rate of $50.00 per hour, an increase of $2.00 from last year.
- The Varsity Baseball team will travel to Florida for spring training/games, one practice a day, one day at Universal Studios 2 Varsity and 2 JV games from Wednesday, March 15, 2023 through Monday, March 20, 2023 by plane with funds raised by students.
- New/Revised Policies for Approval:
- Policy #218 – Student Discipline
- Policy #220 – Student Expression/Dissemination of Materials
- Policy #227 – Controlled Substances/Paraphernalia
- Policy #237 – Electronic Devices
- Policy #808 – Food Services
- Agreement with the Lawrence County Drug and Alcohol Commission for drug prevention services for the 2022-23 school year at a cost of $2,185.00, same as last year, provides prevention services for K-12 and an Assistance Program Student for students in 7-12
- Agreement with River Therapies from August 2022 to June 2023 to provide Mental and Behavioral Health services to students at a cost of $57.00 per hour.
- Place the Special Education Plan on the board minutes for community review for a minimum of 28 days prior to the due date of July 31, 2022 in accordance with the Pennsylvania Department of Special Education.
- Agreement with Stat Staffing to provide nursing services at a rate of LPN – $49.88/hour and RN – $53.88/hour with a minimum of 4 hours. An increase of $5.00 per hour from last year.
- Agreement with BVIU to provide access to the OverDrive School digital library for the 2022-2023 school year at a cost of $881.00